Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Sad Truth About Climate Change

Dear Friends,

Yesterday, on a fishing forum, I had a very difficult encounter over my position on Climate Change and the relationship to fishing.  I did my best to not be political.  The responses that were posted on the forum became increasingly so.  Even though many members posted real statistics in volume they were discarded by some.

How do we confront the most important issue for the future of our country and planet without the conversation turning political?  Why can't we have a lucid conversation that culminates in an intelligent conclusion and course of action?

Is Global Warming and Climate Change real?  I personally think so.  Should we do anything about it?  I think that we have a duty to God and Country to do so?

I posted this chart as what I see as courses of action as I do not see middle ground on this topic.  You ether want to do something or you don't.
What was replied from one member was a rash of information about treating people as morons by using fear as a motive.

I did nothing of the sort.  I truly do not see any alternatives to these positions.  The poster did not offer a fifth option.  Just rants about taxes, hunger the death penalty and Al Gores private jets.

I know that talking about this topic has ramifications that may have some of you tune me out.  If you do then it is my opinion that you are making a political choice and not basing your action on data.  I don't believe that Climate Change is happening or not based on what the talking heads have to say.  I base it on the last fifty years of charted statistics.  I also believe that the situation can move in the other direction with one good volcano.

In the forum discussion some wanted to tune out.  Please don't.  My position is that we must all try to civilly work together on this problem.  "Divided We Fall"  The little things can mean so much in total.  Water filters rather than plastic bottles,  reusable shopping bags and not paper or plastic,  making your next auto purchase have better mileage, supporting higher fuel standards,  supporting reusable energy companies,  the list goes on.

So how does this relate to a fishing blog?

Water, air, climate and the desire to keep them safe for generations to come.  I am not trying to offend anyone or pick sides in an election but given the events in the Gulf Of Mexico over the past month, Drill Baby Drill is not high on my list of solutions to better fishing.

William

No comments: