Friday, March 15, 2013

Is Your Fly Fishing As Much As It Can?????

I am a firm believer in the law of averages.  An average number of casts will produce an average number of fish.  I am also a believer that I can increase my personal average by the level of efficiency of my casting.  I watch other anglers all the time.  I am always interested in learning and for me the way to learn is to watch and then discuss what is happening.  I am very fortunate to have a circle of friends that are very proficient and willing to share.  Some I have known a long time and some I have just met last week.

The anglers that I especilly enjoy are the ones with the beautiful false casting ability.  Back and forth with no tailing or open loops extending line far to the other shore.  Or the anglers who are using indicators and weights with line choices that force them to make two and three rolling casts to get everything out there.

These situations are such a waist of precious time in a fast moving and limited day.  In my opinion the best casters are the ones that can get their fly from the end of a fish taking drift to the start of the next fish taking drift in the least amount of time.  I'm not saying that having a beautiful casting stroke is not a good thing or using a poor line choice will not catch fish.  What I am saying is that I am always making my equipment set up in a design to make as many drifts in a day as possible.

Al Buhr once asked me, "what is the best cast to use"?  He said, "the one that gets his fly from when it isn't fishing any more to where it is fishing again in the least amount of time".

The next time you are out fishing give this some thought.  It just might be the difference between a good day and a great day.  Keep your fly in the water and your casts per day above average.

William

1 comment:

BigC said...

William,
Colin here. Great article and reminded me of a story from when I was about 14. I'm on the margaree with my father and a good friend of his Eddie. My father could throw a line like no other, would lay out like a laser. I loved and still do love to watch somebody throw a nice line. So anyways I'm casting, and casting, trying to make the perfect cast, admiring the line going out. Casting, and casting. Then all of a sudden Eddie walks over, he was a big man and when he talked u listened. He looks at me and says" colin, You'll never catch a salmon with your line out of the water". I got what he said right away. I have told this story to a couple of people who have kids and are starting out fishing and to this day, I have never caught a fish with my line out of the water.