Saturday, February 13, 2010

Feels Like The First Time

When I placed a post on the Maine Fly Fish Forum about having an informal get together with fellow two hand casting anglers, my intention was to do just that. I did mention that all skills were welcome and I would have some rods with set ups available to try.

I was really happy with the way things turned out. Five forum members did show up to give two hand casting a try. None had ever held a two hand rod before.

The writing was on the wall, the answer was as plain as the nose on my face, the Pope is a Catholic, something about bears and I was going to be the instructor. Perfect!!!

I started out with a brief history of traditional Spey, Skagit and Scandi casting giving a demonstration of each style and a number of different casts. I had my rods with me and set them up with the different lines.

I did my best to have each angler learn and preform a few different casts. By the time we finished all were able to make circle casts, double Spey and Perry poke. One in the group was comfortable with the Wombat cast. All were proficient enough to fish from river right or left and be successful. All would be fine casters if we spent a full day on the river together.

I hope the forum five were happy with their teacher. I learned so much in having this experience and came away with a very positive feeling. I do hope that it will not be the last time I do this.

William

If You Would Like To Leave A Comment Click The Post Time

No comments: