Friday, April 29, 2011

Summer Solstice June 21, 2011 1:16pm EDT

There are two days each year that get me going.  The first is the Winter Solstice because I know when that day comes and goes I can start the count down till Spring.  I fish all winter long, here in New England, and notice when it is still light out at 5pm.  I notice that when I travel in the morning those days in February that the sun is coming up as I rush to my destination with sugar plums dancing.

The second, and most important day, is the Summer Solstice.  The longest day of light, and in the season of Salmo Salar, represents the start of the most important fishing period possible.  Yes, I do angle in late May and early June for the big bright hot springers, but the Solstice starts the days of plenty.   There are certain rivers like Matane and Moisie and a number of others that run later into July and August as the best time.  For most of North America, excluding the fall run rivers, the end of June and early July is prime. 

There is only one last thing that makes the Solstice ever more special.  That is when a full moon coincides and  creates the perfect alignment and experience.  The attached photo was taken on June 21 on a full moon Solstice at 10 pm.  We were just finishing the day at Toms Brook on the Restigouche.

If you are working on plans for this year or next, these earth science dates are what you need to offer yourself a better chance at a successful trip.  If the full moon is on the 15th of June, then you might see a few early fish, but you would still be better off to push your dates forward a bit.  If the full moon falls on the 20th or later then go for that time and you should be golden.  There is something very special about June 24th for me.  I think it might be that I have been successful on that date more than any other.

Location, location, location is a times old truth but timing, timing, timing can turn the location into a beautiful day.

William


No comments: