Thursday, July 26, 2012

Davy Knot Wars

Of all the search results that get people to my blog, the Davy Knot is constantly number one.  The level of interest in the knot is very high and I have been a proponent for a long time.
When I first did this experiment I used a size 14 hook and 6X tippet.  The Davy Knot was the weakest and then it dawned on me.  The tippet was too small for the hook.  This is why I went for the 5X and the size 14 hook.  The end result of both attempts were exactly the same.  The Double Davy Knot was the clear winner even with the smaller diameter tippet.
I will not be looking any farther into this situation as I am fully convinced of the result.
Watch the Knot Wars video and comment if you have anything to add.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that just three overhand knots?

William said...

No, The first turn is over the main line and the next two over the tag. Just go for it, you are going to be glad you did.

The flying kiwi said...

Great information. More time fishing than tying flies onto tippet