Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Giant Tuna $526.00 Per Pound

I do love the taste of fine quality Tuna.  Maguro, o-Toro, seared or right out of the can in a sandwich.  It has seemed reasonable to me until I saw this photo today.

This hedonistic slaughter is insanity.  There are but a few of these monsters left in the ocean and the numbers are dwindling.  Certainly, it is not necessary for a fish like this to be targeted for profit.  The fish was sold for $396,000.00 and purchased for consumption in Japan and China.  Japan now accounts for 80% of the worlds catch.  A single piece of Sushi smaller than the size of your thumb will sell for $24.00. 

I'm trying to make sense of it all.  Reductions in catch limits have been put in place but I just don't see how the Giant Tuna's demise can be averted.  It seems to be a case of supply and demand in hyper mode.

William

No comments: